LEGALITIES FOR MARRIAGE IN AUSTRALIA
- You will both need to be 18 years of age or over
- A Notice of Intended Marriage Form (NOIM) (Form 13) must be completed and lodged with your Celebrant at least one (1) month and one (1) day prior to your wedding date and no sooner than eighteen (18) months. Your signatures on the NOIM are to be witnessed by me or by an authorized person as indicated on the Form at (a) below “signature of witness”.
You can download the NOIM – www.ag.gov.au/celebrants or I am happy to post it to you.
- Born in Australia – You will need to provide your original Birth Certificate. If you cannot locate this you will need to apply to Births, Deaths and Marriages in the capital city of the State in which you were born, for this Certificate.
- Born outside Australia – You will need to provide your current Passport.
- Previously married and divorced – You will need to provide your original Decree Absolute. If you don’t have this you will need to apply for your Decree Absolute to the Family Law Court where you were divorced.
- Previously married but husband/wife deceased. You will need to provide the Death Certificate of your former spouse. This is obtainable from Births Deaths and Marriages in the capital city of the State in which the death was registered.
- There can only be two witnesses who sign the Marriage Register with you, and they must be 18 years of age or older.
Whether at interview with me, or mailing your Notice of Intended Marriage Form (NOIM), photocopies of all relevant documentation must accompany the completed and witnessed NOIM Form. You MUST REMEMBER to have all your ORIGINAL documentation with you when we meet prior to your ceremony. I must sight all ORIGINAL documentation BEFORE I can proceed to marrying you.
For further assistance and information please don’t hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or phone on 07 4128 6404 (B) M: 0490 758 968